Thursday, November 20, 2003

Comments

It's words like 主流 that make me think there is some ancient connection between the Chinese and English languages. literally means "main", and means "flow" or "stream." Hence, "mainstream." This happens about once a month, I'll be reading an article and I come across a word that I don't recognize at first glance, but then I identify the characters and examine the context and voila, the meaning becomes obvious and I'm floored again by the similarity to English. Here was the context for this one:

一些传统主流媒体不能涉及事情历来网络媒体

Approximately: Some stuff that can't be shown in mainstream media, can always be found in the online media. Yah yah, I know it's probably a borrowed, newly coined word. But it's still fun to imagine.

In the same paragraph: , "new wave."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home