Sunday, September 25, 2005

Comments

On the way back from the concert yesterday, I stopped by the bus stop to pick up a couple bao zi to snack on and they were advertising half-price for certain buns, the reason being that they had broken open during the cooking process. The word "reason" had been written:

A new simplification that I'd never seen before.

Which is a little extreme, I think, since the standard spelling is already pretty simple: 原因.

(I've written about hyper-simplified characters before.)

2 Comments:

At Sep 25, 2005, 10:12:00 AM, Blogger crallspace said:

I hate white people that get chinese symbol tatoos. If I were asian, I think I'd beat their asses.

 
At Sep 25, 2005, 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

I think I'd just laugh at them.

Anyway, that's not what this post is about. It's about Chinese people taking shortcuts writing characters, following the lead of the Chinese government's simplification of the writing system back in the 1950s.

Maybe you were thinking of Hanzi Smatter.

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home