Friday, January 06, 2006

Comments

The second-hand electronics market by the Zhenping Rd light rail station (Line 3) is a place that has been on my "to visit" list for a long time. Today I finally got the chance, and I'm very happy I did. I found old game systems, a brand new pair of Sony earphones exactly like the pair I use, a broad selection of old Minidisc players and recorders, more DVDs and CDs (good ones!) than I've seen collected in one place in Shanghai, and lots of used stereo equipment including vacuum tube models. They've changed their name to 宜康电子市场 or something like that, and are surrounded by housing developments under construction, but haven't been torn down yet. Visit before it's too late.

To get to the (second-hand, let me clarify) Yikang electronics market, take the metro Line 1 from People's Square to Shanghai Train Station and switch to Line 3, the light rail. Ride south (towards Shanghai South Railway Station) to Zhenping Road. Exit the station at either exit, and cross through the apartment complex directly south of the station. You'll come out on the north side of the Suzhou Creek, where you should turn left and walk 3 minutes to the pedestrian bridge over the creek. The electronics market is attached to the bridge on the south side of the creek in a large, dirty factory-type building; and don't forget to browse all three floors.

7 Comments:

At Jan 7, 2006, 3:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Can you provide a detailed direction starting from People's Square? Thanks. Cyndi

 
At Jan 7, 2006, 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Sure. I'll attach the directions to the original post. I might add that if you're husband/boyfriend is the technical type, this might be a good place to pick up a Christmas/birthday/whatever-day present.

 
At Jan 7, 2006, 10:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

nice!i'm terrible when it comes to following directions but i think i got it. thanks.
I'll try to go there after my exams. I've asked my teacher about this place before and she didn't know.

 
At Jan 9, 2006, 11:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Xie Xie!

 
At Jan 9, 2006, 7:25:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Cindy: No prob :)

Aline: There are actually a lot of used-electronics markets markets in Shanghai, according to web searches I've done in the past. The one I describe above has been recommended to me several times for movies and music, but I was more fascinated by the collections of old stereo equipment. Also, the location is pretty convenient.

 
At Sep 7, 2012, 6:38:00 PM, Anonymous rene said:

could you please add a marker on a google maps card?

 
At Sep 27, 2012, 8:48:00 AM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Rene: bad news, it's "too late" like I said in the post. The building was emptied out a couple years ago and now sits empty, waiting (I'm guessing) to be torn down. So sad! These kinds of interesting places are less and less common now in the downtown area.

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home