Monday, June 18, 2007

Comments

On Friday night I took my computer out of storage and set it up on top of Jodi's. I wiped Redhat 9 (it's been a good 5 years) and did a net install of the latest Debian Etch, but found that I couldn't make an ADSL connection to upgrade or add packages. So I called it quits for the night.

On Saturday morning Jodi and Charlotte accompanied me to the high school graduation ceremony. In the afternoon Jodi's cousins came over for lunch and to take pictures with Charlotte. In the evening, Jodi and I went out to have hotpot at the 傣妹 on Sichuan Rd. We hardly recognized the stretch of Sichuan Rd that we walked along; Hongkou is really doing a nice job changing/renovating that street: there are flower boxes all over, newly paved sidewalks, and a mix of decent middle-of-the-road and empty luxury malls. The Daimei we were looking for had closed down "temporarily" so we had hotpot at the Nanhua across the street. We also had pastries from the Paris Baguette next door, twice. We were going to hit up Xujiahui for a movie but realized we'd have to take a taxi back. Darn you, Pudong!

On Sunday Jodi and her mom went out shopping all afternoon so I stayed home and took care of Charlotte. In the meantime I had realized that I had an old router sitting around, so I added that to the mix and was able to aptitude a bunch of software onto my computer (hostname: petisuis): ssh, screen, x-windows, xmms, blackbox, firefox... Once I had Firefox up and running, I wrote up a Shanghai Public Transportation weblog post and waited for Jodi and her mom to get home. They brought 炒河粉 fried noodles and 菠萝饱 buns with fresh butter from the Bifengtang at the Yaohan mall, one of the better locations in Shanghai. Jodi also gave me a Father's Day present, a cute alarm clock and a weblog post with a bunch of her online friends (what have I done?!) wishing me happy father's day. Stayed up until 1:30am working on sound (solved) and fonts (still working on this).

2 Comments:

At Jun 18, 2007, 3:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

>>wiped Redhat 9

I found an old laptop of mine the other day that had Redhat 5.2 on it. That's when I realized I've been doing this too long.

 
At Jun 18, 2007, 9:12:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Woah, 佩服. The farthest back I go (on my own boxes) was Redhat 8, although I did meet the guy who put together Yggdrasil at a Beijing Linux Users Group meeting a couple years ago...

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home