Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Comments

Funny how things are connected.

I think I followed a link off of MetaFilter a couple weeks ago and watched this video on Youtube called "Going out for an English", which was pretty funny and lead to me watching a few episodes of the BBC Indian sketch comedy show "Good Gracious Me". The "English" skit was sorta funny, but I didn't really get it; the "Indian Names" skit was less culturally specific, a little easier to understand, and so made it into my favorites list.

A couple days ago I was looking up how to 白灼 a bunch of Cantonese kale I bought at the wet market like they do at Bifengtang, and I came across this thread in the "China and Chinese Cuisine" forum of the eGullet BBSs about cooking shrimp and bookmarked it for later. Today I went back to it and started browsing other threads in the forum. One thread began with a question by a reporter for the Guardian who was researching for an article on what "foreign" foods are eaten in the home countries of the foreigners that liven up the food scene in England with their own native cuisines.

Well the intriguing article was published a couple weeks ago and, lo and behold, the first paragraph happens to reference the "Going out for an English" sketch, explaining that it was meant to parody drunken antics of the post-pub curry crowd. Suddenly the sketch is several times funnier than when I first watched it.

Funny how things are connected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home