Thursday, July 17, 2008

Comments

If you've been watching the skies lately, you've noticed that the Moon has been swinging closer and closer to a mysterious planet low in the sky. Now thanks to heavens-above.com the planet is no longer a mystery! It's Jupiter! 木星!

Year: 2008  Month: 7  Day: 17  Hour: 22  Minute: 36

As you can see, the Moon and Jupiter are right next to each other tonight. Taking this prime opportunity, I whipped out my camera, set up the tripod on a stool on a chair on the balcony, and took some photos on various zoom levels at various aperture and exposure settings. Here's a photo illustrating the distance between the two objects, overexposed to get Jupiter two show up (it's very clear to the naked eye, though):

IMG_3426

Obviously the moon is way, way overexposed, so I closed the aperture a bit and shortened the exposure time.

Moon large

Back to a longer exposure time, I zoom in on Jupiter. Originally I had thought it might be Mars, but who could mistake the deep sky-blue color for Mars' red surface???

IMG_3432

Lengthening the exposure time even further to probe for details, I captured all four of Jupiter's Galilean moons: Ganymede, Callisto, Europa, and Io! Nice!

IMG_3430

That's all for tonight. It's a pretty good capture considering the warm Shanghai atmosphere, the Zhangjiang High-Tech light pollution, and my shaky little tripod.

4 Comments:

At Jul 18, 2008, 3:01:00 PM, Blogger lokate said:

those photos are amazing!

 
At Jul 18, 2008, 3:04:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Your camera is better than mine, you could probably do just as well or better. And isn't it nighttime over there right now? Same sky...

 
At Jul 19, 2008, 8:56:00 AM, Blogger parens said:

that's awesome! particularly the last one...

 
At Jul 30, 2008, 2:51:00 PM, Blogger James Z said:

Wow cool! ... man I wish you taught me some astronomy when I was still in your class!... You think I can see Jupiter from my house? I have a telescope and everything... but I like rarely use it...

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home