Sunday, August 24, 2008

Comments

Lately I've been browsing a few Chinese BBSs that are definitely stuck in the Web 1.0 era, so naturally I have to do a little patching here and there to fit them into my closer-to-web-2.0 web surfing habits. One thing that these BBSs are missing is RSS feeds for individual threads. Since I'd rather have notices of new posts come to me than have to browse through the forums to check for new content, I whipped up a little Perl script specifically for the 篱笆网 BBS that takes a forum thread and turns it into an RSS feed. For example, the following URL takes thread number 2566005 in forum 96 and outputs it as RSS:

http://feeds.wubi.org/liba/96/2566005

Then I can subscribe to that URL in Google Reader, which will alert me of any new posts in that specific thread. Neat, eh?

2 Comments:

At Aug 24, 2008, 4:47:00 PM, Blogger klortho said:

Care to post the source?

 
At Aug 24, 2008, 6:01:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

First, a few disclaimers:
1) I don't expect anybody else to use this code, so it's completely uncommented.
2) It's got a lot of Liba-specific stuff embedded in the code.
3) I was trying out the XML::Atom module, but ended up going with RSS (simpler) so ignore the Atom-related code.
That said:
http://feeds.wubi.org/liba/source/

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home