Monday, October 20, 2008

Comments

I'm not done reading the article "Reaching an Autistic Teenager" (just previewing it before bookmarking it and working on real work) but this paragraph caught my eye:

What makes the Community School unusual is not its student body — plenty of schools around the country enroll teenagers with an autism spectrum disorder. But, like about only two dozen schools in the country, it employs a relatively new, creative and highly interactive teaching method known as D.I.R./Floortime, which is producing striking results among T.C.S.’s student body. (D.I.R. stands for developmental, individual differences, relationship-based approach.) The method is derived from the work of Stanley Greenspan, a child psychiatrist and professor of psychiatry, behavioral science and pediatrics at George Washington University, and his colleague Dr. Serena Wieder. D.I.R./Floortime can be effective with all kinds of children, whether they have developmental challenges or not. As applied by T.C.S., it is an approach that encourages students to develop their strengths and interests by working closely with one another and with their teachers.

Hmm, sounds a lot like parenting + real life!

3 Comments:

At Oct 22, 2008, 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Larry Sittig said:

Coincidentally ... I read that good article. I quoted Dr. Greenspan in my teaching of Joint Heirs Sunday, for an amusing "Don't tell me you're too old to change" moment. It says, "Early intervention is optimal,” Dr. Greenspan told me, “but it’s never too late. The areas of the brain that regulate emotions, that sequence ideas and actions and that influence abstract thinking keep growing into a person’s 50s and 60s.” Herb Turner, who is 70, didn't much care for it.

 
At Oct 22, 2008, 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Hehe. Your comment reminds me of the perennial question that newcomers ask on the Chinese Forums BBS, how old is too old to start learning Chinese? I'm always surprised by the people who come out of the woodwork to say that they didn't start until they retired, or even older sometimes. Example:
http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=26446

 
At Oct 23, 2008, 8:02:00 PM, Blogger 闲谈怪兽蘑菇 said:

吼吼 太可爱了啊 恭喜了

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home