Sunday, June 01, 2003

Comments

I'm working major hours at Borders this week because some big shots are coming to visit tomorrow. At least my boss admits it's all a sham, us scheduling way too many hours to make the store look way too clean. I turned in my two week notice today, because I will be leaving for Costa Rica on the 23rd, and I won't want to work the weekend before that. I didn't realize it was coming up so soon. I'm conflicted about leaving Borders: on the one hand, I'll be happy to leave what I thought was a left-leaning, independent-minded bookstore and turned out to be a corporate sham, and at the same time I'm sad to be leaving behind such cool co-workers. The people are a big part of what kept me there. And the book loans helped too.

The good news is that I got a reassuring email from the secretary of the Center for Chinese Studies at UMich saying that there will be housing soirees (she didn't actually use that word) every weekend in August to hook up renters with rentees, or roommates with roommate-seekers. I was worried about finding housing. She also mentioned that eight people will be starting their MS in Chinese studies this year, and five in Japanese studies. I didn't realize the department is so small, especially at such a large state school. I mean, this place actually has a football team.

Oh, and my Borders boss said I was "dependable". Can I put that on my resume then?

Julie just finished a huge book in Japanese. Why haven't I finished my Spanish book? About a week ago, I put it on the hood of my car and drove off down Imperial Highway. I've given up hope of seeing it again. I did order a history of Central America in Spanish from Borders, I hope they can get it before we leave on the trip. It will be a nice conversation starter on our trip, besides being educational.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home