Saturday, October 16, 2004

Comments

A couple things that I jotted down in my pocket notebook:

  • The Shanghai metro system has several trains with Samsung LCD screens mounted by the doors playing advertisements. This morning, there was a power malfunction and the computer controlling the displays rebooted. The boot sequence showed that it was running Linux.
  • A guy going home on bus 136 the other day had RMB 591 (about USD 70) of value stored on his swipe card. I think these people are just showing off. (The bus costs RMB 1 or 1.5, RMB 2 when it has A/C.)

UPDATE: As I said in the comments to this post, I loaded RMB 300 onto my transportation value-storage card a couple of days later. It ran out on November 10th (down to RMB 2.5, I "reloaded"). This meant that RMB 300 lasted less than a month. That includes metro, bus, and taxi rides.

3 Comments:

At Oct 18, 2004, 12:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hey... it's awfully convenient storing as much money on your card as you can. I think they let you put up to 9999NT on the Easycards here... which is about $300USD. I never go over 2000NT, myself, but my 2000NT can be used up in two to three weeks.

Then again, I guess Taipei transit is a little more expensive in comparison, and our Easycards can be used on buses and on the subways, too. Beh. I guess I'm just trying to defend a stranger.

-- Menghsin

 
At Oct 25, 2004, 10:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Yeah, the Shanghai yikatong cards can be used on buses, the subway, and in taxis. I think you can actually use them in some stores as well. 600RMB isn't too outrageous -- I spend about that much on transportation in a month.

-Brad

 
At Oct 25, 2004, 8:38:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Yeah, I gave in and loaded 300 RMB onto mine today. I can feel the dirty looks drilling into my back each time I swipe it.

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home