Sunday, May 29, 2005

Comments

I'll match that:

With a picture of my own ramen school advertisement.

I took the above sticker off a wall down in the outer suburbs of Shanghai, near Jinjiang Park. It says:

Specialized Training: ramen, snacks, malatang, liangpi, cured veggies, and make-up and hair-styling. Cell: 13482645381

Malatang is a kind of, to quote John, poor man's hot pot, named after the copious amounts of spicy pepper and sesame oil added to the broth; liangpi is a kind of cold wheat noodle topped with pickled veggies, spices and hot pepper.

If I wasn't so busy, I would love call the number and sign up.

3 Comments:

At May 30, 2005, 2:04:00 AM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Really? Is Japanese non-instant ramen differnet from Chinese non-instant ramen?

Remind me of your number, and I'll show you how. Rrrrr :)

 
At May 30, 2005, 2:05:00 AM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Somebody have pity on me and buy me a spell-checker!!!11!1

 
At Jun 4, 2005, 7:03:00 PM, Blogger alai said:

It's the same in both, that I recall. (Has Chris told you of Tampopo, if you don't know it already?) It's simply that most people think of Japanese ramen as the instant jazz. I think that the taste of the noodle might be a bit different, but it's been so long since I've had either that I can't recall.

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home