Saturday, April 29, 2006

Comments

Vacation. Oh yeah!

My school is awesome. Since we're majority foreign teachers, the academic planning committee decided that we would not work this Saturday and Sunday, and instead make up the time by staying late on Monday and Tuesday after vacation for teacher conferences, and one Saturday for the International Fair. So we get 9 days of May Holiday, w00t.

I still get a kick out of the Chinese name for May Holiday, 国际劳动节, International Labor Day. Workers of the world, unite!

So what am I doing this vacation? So far today, sitting in the study in my boxers at 10:30 in the morning listening to Drum'n'Bass on di.fm, bathing myself in 90's Japan nostalgia reading Marxy in full-effect, and planning to deliver KFC for lunch to Jodi who has to work today, the poor thing.

In the longer term, we have to move to our new aparment on Dingxi Road, just south of Zhongshan Park. Also in the work is a day trip to Hangzhou, some wedding/honeymoon planning, and general touristing around Shanghai.

In that far-off day when I have money for a new computer, I'm definitely getting a Mac. Or, dare I say it, loading OSX onto my Linux box?

Oh, and if you haven't heard the Spanish-American national anthem yet, what are you waiting for? It's a work of pure genius.

3 Comments:

At Apr 29, 2006, 5:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

You mean Mexican American I think :)

 
At Apr 29, 2006, 7:52:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Well, language is a minefield when talking about this stuff.

A lot of the artists who did this weren't Mexican. I know there were some Puerto Ricans, but I coudn't find a complete list of people anywhere online. When I said "Spanish-American" I was referring to the language, really; I had just seen an article in Spanish which called the song a Castillian version of the national anthem, "Castillian" being the formal name for what we usually think of as standard "Spanish". Growing up in Spain as a perfectionist, I'm particularly sensitive to the difference between "real" Spanish and the Spanish spoken in South America and in the USA. That's why I stuck with the more neutral "Spanish-American".

I suppose I could have said Latin-American, but with such a patriotic American song I think I wanted to stay away from labelling it with a different political-cultural label, and instead stick with language.

 
At Apr 30, 2006, 5:30:00 AM, Blogger Andrea said:

I used to live on Dingxi Lu too many many years ago, in Changning Garden to be precise (not sure if those apartment buildings are still there...). Anyhow, hope you will get a chance to take a picture of the Dingxi Lu someday, so I can how much the neighbourhood has changed - probably lots I am guessing.

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home