Monday, March 19, 2007

Comments

I went to the Shanghai Writers talk with Qiu Xiaolong and Chen Danyan on Saturday, part of the Shanghai International Literary Festival. My impression is that it was underwhelming, as these things tend to be, but valuable. Highlights were the ideas that hating Shanghai means loving it, that some of the best writing about Shanghai happens in the Xinmin Evening Post, and hearing so many white people with Chinese better than mine. I put my notes up on the wiki for archiving and random perusal.

3 Comments:

At Mar 20, 2007, 3:46:00 PM, Blogger Peter Rozovsky said:

Underwhelming, you say? I enjoyed your notes on Qiu's talk. I've been interested in him ever since Death of a Red Heroine bowled me over.

I've mentioned Qiu a number of times on my blog. The relevant posts are here, if you're interested: http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/search/label/Qiu%20Xiaolong I wrote in one comment about that excellent and evocative word shikumen and what it added to a crime story written in English.

Thanks for the Qiu notes!
========================

Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

 
At Mar 22, 2007, 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Jeff Rutsch said:

Very interesting notes on the panel. Peter's blog is also good, I'll have to check out "Death of a Red Heroine."

You seem to follow the Shanghai literary scene, I'm pretty much entirely ignorant. I'd be interested to see another update which mentions some favorite Shanghai novels.

 
At Mar 26, 2007, 2:50:00 PM, Blogger Peter Rozovsky said:

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. I can recommend your blog, as well, with the warning that anyone interested in visiting China or who has visited there could easily spend hours reading your posts.
========================

Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home