Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Comments

On the way home from work this evening, the on-board TV announced that the Shanghai metro Line 8 was entering a testing phase and that engineers had run the trains on their first maiden voyage. The engineers were using laptops to monitor the train's control system, and I'm pretty sure they were running top in a terminal window. Linux! Or at least some form of *nix.

The TV also mentioned that paper fen bills are finally being phased out. Thank goodness, that's a part of the "old" China that I will not miss.

I have a newspaper clipping about Lujiazui's air-raid bunker hotels riding around in the notebook in my back pocket. I'd like to find the time to research the topic and write up a little post about it, maybe for Shanghaiist, but I'm not sure I have the time. We had a couple of them downstairs from us at Zhongshan Park and they always intrigued me. (Those are 防空洞旅馆, in case you want to run with this idea.)

2 Comments:

At Apr 8, 2007, 4:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Do you know when line 8 will be open?

 
At Apr 8, 2007, 1:16:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Even though it's already in testing, Line 8 won't open to the public until the end of this year. Bets are on a Saturday in December.

(As a reminder to myself and others, Line 8 is the one starting in northern Yangpu, passing through a two-line exchange at Hongkou Stadium, under the Suzhou Creek, through a three-line exchange at People's Square, south through the Luwan district, under the Huangpu River, and ending in southern Pudong.)

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home