Monday, February 06, 2006

Comments

Konrad, in a post of anecdotes set on a recent trip to Japan, talks about the new pan-Asian identity movement:

Despite this, however, I have deep reservations about the center’s mission. In debates and discussions with friends there I have on many occasion expressed my own doubts about the need for the active creation of a regional based “Asian identity” which is constructed at the hands of intellectuals or political policy based on what will inevitably be a contradictory set of perceived commonalities between participants. Also, beyond economic integration, I don’t see the need or necessarily the desirability of the creation of an institutional “Asian community” since I fear the potential for a gradually increasing exclusivity build into the concept.

He mentions the "we/us" thing that I noted in a comment on pigpog's LJ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home