Sunday, September 14, 2008

Comments

So David Foster Wallace (who?) died, and now I'm confused. One of my high school classmates wrote that she was "in shock" over the death of this "brilliant" author. The Metafilter thread linking to his obit has over 300 comments. Me, I've got nothing but a passing acquaintance with the name in that sort of "I'd guess it on Jeopardy if I had no idea what the answer was" sort of way. Am I the wrong generation? Was it growing up outside the US? Having conservative Christian parents? Why had I basically never heard of him?

5 Comments:

At Sep 15, 2008, 12:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Don't worry, I'm a big reader, and it was news to me too. I guess he got big after I left on my travels in 98. This was the first I heard of him too.

 
At Sep 15, 2008, 4:10:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said:

Hi Micah
I'm also a bigger reader but had just heard of him in passing. I might've also read one of his stories in the New Yorker at one point too.

I don't think his books are really carried in Asia either which may have been why he was news to you.

J.

 
At Sep 15, 2008, 6:32:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie/Sproffee said:

Hi!

You posted on my blog and I was just curious on how you found me.

You currently living in PuDong as well?

-Stephanie

 
At Sep 17, 2008, 3:17:00 PM, Blogger parens said:

i can't really answer that -- i know i first read infinite jest in late high school or early college, but i honestly can't remember why i picked it up. it's possible i just stumbled across it in a bookstore. his writing really did mean a lot to me though.

 
At Sep 18, 2008, 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Micah Sittig said:

Julie: considering that you're the most well-read person I know, I wasn't at all surprised that you knew him. Perhaps I was just underestimating how well-read I am.

Stephanie: I replied on your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home