Thursday, February 09, 2006

Comments

So 李宇春 has a music video out now that's getting pretty heavy play on Shanghai's local music television station, a song called "tmd (我爱你)". When I realized that she was singing "t-m-d", I started watching the subtitles* to figure out what this stood for. I asked Jodi to confirm that it was 甜蜜的, a phrase appearing later in the song, and she said:

"The first time I saw this video, I mistakenly thought it was 他妈的. But yeah, it's 甜蜜的."

(Listen for yourself: search for 李宇春 tmd on Baudi MP3 search.)

(And then listen to the splash hit at this year's New Year Gala on CCTV from Tibetan group 布仁巴雅尔, a song called 吉祥三宝:



.)

* All music videos in China have subtitles, so kids can learn them and then order them when they go karaoke-ing. This follows the Japanese model, where artists actually get paid royalties when their songs get played in karaoke parlors.

2 Comments:

At Feb 13, 2006, 6:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

The tmd is supposed to be edgy, right, while still preserving an innocent interpretation, is my take.

The family's song has for some reason been on continuous repeat every time I've been to the Beijing WalMart in the last year. It's nice - once -

 
At Jun 12, 2007, 12:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:

Also, the it is a Mongolian family, not Tibetan

 

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

« Home